Friday, September 03, 2004

oh no, karaoke

second day of school. got up relatively early so i decided to rearrange the apartment. time it make it more homey and get my cloths off the floor. i brought down one of the bedside tables and the long table from upstairs. it was a chore but somehow i managed it. i set up the computer first. music is a must. then gradually put away my clothes and other crap i brought. my first class isn't until 3:25 pm so i spent the morning preparing lessons for both classes. my second one is at 4:10 pm. the class with sally went off with no problems. she's a great student. the other is a different story. i have four preteens: anna, laura, shaun, and erika. they spent the whole 40 mins. just staring at me. i felt discouraged afterwards wanting to hide and go home, then realized it was only the first day it has to get better doesn't it? let's hope so.

that night the entire school went out to dinner. we went back to korean bbq that horace took me to on thursday. once jk and jane found out i liked kamja they kept making sure that my bowl kept getting refilled. we drank lots of soju. jk handed me his glass which meant i had to do a shot of soju. later i did the same to him. jk said that i will make a good teacher because i'm quite humorous. he mentioned that all the students were commenting on my blue eyes. after dinner we went to a karaoke bar. yes, my worst nightmare come true. there was no getting out of singing. its funny but being in a foreign country away of all the peer pressure and the notions of making a fool of yourself didn't seem to bother me to go up and make an ass of myself. of course the numerous shots of soju and beer probably helped too. my first song was "we got the beat". while others sang i played the tambourine. jk got us some cass, korean beer and shrimp snacks. after having several drinks the snacks weren't so bad. for my second song i decided to take it down a notch and sang "love hurts". horace and i finished the evening with "islands in the stream", probably not the best one to end on but it was pretty funny us singing a love song. horace's set included the very pc "rape me" and then "creep" which i joined in on especially since it seemed quite fitting for where we were. after karaoke horace, jean,and i went to some western bar, beer circus or something like that, to have one last pitcher of beer. we walked jean home who kept trying to get us to come to her sisters apartment. i think she wants to date us. we declined. on our way home jean came driving by with her sister telling us to get in and she'd take us home. we told her she shouldn't be driving and after several minutes of discussing this she headed home. horace looked at me and said "she wants american husband." time to make up a fake girlfriend.

2 comments:

rachel said...

at least you didn't wind up with a hooker... yet.

j. ethan duran said...

that'll be next time.