Thursday, November 18, 2004

test day

all day today i've been trying to pump myself up for the belt test. i pretty much know the form and have the basic kicks down. now i had to psych myself up and not worry about people watching me. i have a tendency to choke when i know i'm being watched. school went pretty well. little jenny is still afraid to enter the BLUE-EYED DEVIL'S class but at least she's looking at me now. jk did confirm what i thought from the beginning and thats that she doesn't know as much as she should. its definitely going to be a challenge but one that i'm ready for.

there's one girl at our school joy who i think is crushed out on me. yesterday she gave me a coin for a present. a couple of days ago she brought me some bread. and today in between classes she was hanging out in my room. she told jk that she wanted me to teach her. at least someone isn't afraid of BLUE-EYED DEVIL.

after school i tried to power nap. that lasted all of 20 minutes. i got up and did some tae kwon do practice. only 20 minutes left before i had to go to class. we spent the majority of the class doing warmup exercises, kicks, and then practiced our forms. then we all had to sit along the back wall so we could watch the testing. first up were the white belts. i felt a little better knowing we were going to do this together. we started off showing him various punches. next we had to do a side split. yeah, i'm not so good at that. from there we moved up and down the mats doing various kicks: frontkick, sidekick, roundhouse, backkick, etc. once the kicking was done we did form 1. heather and i got it right the first try. scrappy had to do it again by himself. as a little extra bonus but not really part of the test we tried breaking boards. let's just say that not a complete success for me. i volunteered to go first. the board that tb was holding was quite small. i was more concerned about not hitting his hand even though he had on gloves that is was hard to concentrate. both of my attempts to break the board failed but at least i was successful in not hitting tb's hand. scrappy went after me. his first kick landed on tb's hand. tb then changed boards which was twice as big as the one i tried to kick. scrappy failed on his second attempt too. thank god. i didn't want to be the only one. heather on the other hand broke it on her second try. now that we were done we returned to the wall to watch the others.

once everyone was done we took our position and were awarded with new belts. YES. I MADE IT TO YELLOW BELT. YEAH!!!! i was actually quite excited. after class we went out for beers. the one thing about going out with the koreans is one beer equals many and you never go hungry. while we were sitting around drinking someone had order some hotdog type things and then two plates of fried chicken which was actually really good. to top it off though they brought out a plate of french fries and tator tots. yummy. so that was my evening. pretty good if i must say so myself. and now i'm one step closer to being a black belt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats!! i never got any further than yellow belt myself. but then again it did help me get a degree in biology...go figure, right?
keep your chi focused and you'll be crackin' cinder blocks w/ your head in no time.

d-lerious

Pevil said...

YAY FOR ETHAN! I'm so proud of you! What color is next! Like the cheerleaders say, BRING IT ON!