Monday, November 15, 2004

christmas comes early to korea

have you ever received something that struck such a nerve within you that it almost made you cry. not a bad cry but a good kind of cry because it was very sentimental? if so then you'll know how i felt when i opened my mom's package. after pulling out the pieces of paper used for cushioning i uncovered my childhood christmas stocking. i was shocked. it never dawned on me that i would be receiving a christmas shocking let alone the one i used ever since i was a child. seeing that green crochet stocking with a fuzzy bearded santa made me realize i won't be home this year. i knew there would come a time when i wouldn't make it home for christmas. i always thought that i was prepared for that. i never imagined that seeing that stocking would provoke such feelings of home, but it does. it's funny because i've asked my mom for that stocking before when i was living in sf. instead she sent me a new. i never thought she'd part with it but i guess she too realized that i won't be home and that there was no use in keeping an empty stocking. it's for that reason i will cherish it even more. getting that stocking would have been enough for me. most people enjoy receiving gifts. my sister and i like the stockings the best. we always opened them last trying to be the first one done. even though i won't have her by my side this year i'll definitely be thining of her and my family as i uncover all the little treasures inside. thanks mom. you've totally made my christmas. i love you.

the christmas stocking, being too heavy to hang, is now resting on a shelf with the rest of my christmas booty. its going to take a lot of will power to try to wait until december 24. i'm actually surprised it didn't bust into it yet. besides the christmas stuff my mom also sent a variety of food like mac and cheese, instant potatoes, noodles, pudding (i love pudding), cookies, etc. all of which i can enjoy now. i probably have enough stuff to last me to christmas.

tonight we had dinner with jk and princess. he wanted to tell us some news which we already knew. sammy teacher quit today. what's it been two months and two teachers. three if you count the one that quit beofre i got there. it should be an interesting for weeks. but as we say here, "that's my hogwon."

No comments: