Tuesday, September 04, 2012

ode to la

deery-lou.
previously on the e-list…

It's hard to believe that I've been in Miami now for 6 months. San Francisco seems like such a distant memory. I truly miss my days in SF hanging with great friends, exploring the city, and drinking at my favorite bar, which I heard is coming back. But with each passing day here in Miami I'm growing to love it a little more.

One things that has significantly changed is my reading habit. I seem to be reading a lot more lately. Perhaps it has something to do with a lack of friends. Whatever the reason my be, I'm actually enjoying it. So far since I've been here I managed to finally finish The Color of Summer by Reinaldo Arenas (which I started in SF) plus I've read The Way of the Shadow by Brent Weeks, Imperial Bedrooms by Bret Easton Ellis, Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx and then over the weekend I started & finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. That's more than I've read in the last two years combined.

I was surprised by how much I really enjoyed The Perks of Being a Wallflower. It's funny because it's one of those books that I remember seeing all the time when it first came out but for some reason never caught my interest. After reading Imperial Bedrooms, the sequel to Less Than Zero, I started thinking about the books that I've read which I liked a lot: Generation X, American Psycho, Bright Lights, Big City, City of Night, The Secret History, etc. That's when my google searching lead me to The Perks of Being a Wallflower an unread book from my past. Seeing that a lot of the themes of these other books dealt with troubled youth I figured I'd give it a try. And I'm so glad I did. It's one of those books that even now I'm still thinking about and a part of me didn't want it to end.

When I wasn't kicking back enjoying my book, I was entertaining my nieces. Here's a rundown of how that went: playing Barbies followed a photo shoot (pictures TK), going to the park (twice), a game of hide and go seek, playing dead, more Barbies, pretending we were at a spa, etc. Who knew kids could be so tiring.

Just where will I end up next is any one's guess.

stay gold & be well

No comments: