Tuesday, March 07, 2006

herb vs. erb

deery-lou.
a couple of weeks ago me amigo prattlepants blogged about the pronounciation of "herb". she had overheard two brits talking on a train about how americans don't pronounce the "h" sound. the bottom line being that as americans perhaps we were just being lazy. then on friday i had an arguement with one of my students over this same thing. as sue was reading she pronounced "herb" with the "h" sound. i immediately corrected her by saying its "erb". she felt the need to reply to this by saying, "no teacher there's an h. its "herb". to which i answered her by saying it was "erb". this went on for a couple of minutes. finally i told her that yes there is an "h" in herb but in america we say "erb". i could tell she looked a bit perplexed. she just looked at me and said, "ok, ok." then wanted to know why. and to be honest i really didn't have an answer. i wanted to say perhaps because we're lazy, but i didn't. while i'm on the topic of herb it makes me think of high school. in my circle of friends we often had code names for different things. the girls, who we called the cuntry, refered to pot as herb. not sure why i thought of that but i did. which in turn meant that i had to share it with you. i think i need sleep.

be well…

5 comments:

dac said...

peaches and herb....think about it

Pevil said...

I am thinking of you in paisley shirts smoking herb with the cuntry.

hez said...

i blame it on the french.

Prattlepants said...

i actually do think its the french influence from when they owned a good chunk of the south. france never owned england or the brits might have ditched the 'h' in herb too... and theyd have better cheese. no matter how you say it, herb is good for me and you.

Unknown said...

I don't recall ever smoking herb with you... then again, I was kind of in forced exile from the cuntry most of the time, wasn't I?