Friday, April 01, 2005

a princess story

dear diary–
this week in one of my classes i was teaching point of view. i had my students write two stories. one from the first person point of view the other from the third person point of view. it amazes me with what these students come up with. sally's stories were so cute and bizarre that i want to share them with you know. granted i made some corrections to them but you'll get the general idea.

sally's first person point of view story
I was a small girl. all of the people liked me. It was a good feeling. I always had happy days. But one day my father died and we were sad.
The End

footnote: there was also a little picture to go along with this story.

sally's third person point of view story
Once there were three princesses who lived in a castle. Two of the princess were good. One was bad. Two of the princesses were pretty. One was ugly. They went to a party and they saw a big dog. It was the biggest dog they have ever seen. And then they all died.

Granted now these are stories coming from an 8 year old. cute and innocent and yet they both center around death. i love the imagination that children have. perhaps that why i surround myself with childish things like pez, action figures, and comics. sometimes i yearn for the days when i was in my room with my star wars toys scattered on the floor building a styrofoam hoth ice fortress waiting for the big showdown between good and evil. i use to steal my sisters finger nail polish and paint my action figures so it look like blood. what is our big fascination with death and blood when we are young. perhaps its because it seems so mysterious to us. who really knows. be well…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

maybe sally is one of the children of the corn!!! i love her and all her dead friends.

d-anger