Thursday, September 27, 2007

please, please, please let me

deery-lou.
my whole junior/senior year of high school flashed before my eyes last night. all the loneliness, yearnings, depression, etc. came stumbling out of the closet. the cause of these flashbacks—morrissey. the smiths were a big influence for me back in high school. i worshipped them like no other. posters adorned my walls, magazines cluttered my desks, and milk crates were filled with singles. it was quite scary if you think about. that one band consumed so much of my life. i forgot how their music brought out so many emotions for me—good and bad. my first girlfriend [yes i did have a gf once] and i both shared a passion for the smiths. i think that's what brought us together. what tore us apart was a whole different matter. but that's a different post. so anyway, last night i went to see morrissey at the fillmore.


when he opened the show with a smiths song i knew that this was going to be a concert to remember for the ages. it was at that moment that my heart sank and all those old feelings can back. and it was such a great feeling. the last time i saw morrissey was in the early 90s. i was attending college in athens, ga. we drove to atlanta for the show and although we all hoped he would sing at least one smiths song he didn't. for being such a huge smiths fan i never had a chance to see them live. my one opportunity was shot down by my mom who wouldn't let me travel to st. petersburg with friends. and soon after that the band became a thing of the past. as the years passed i remained loyal to the smiths fan but i seemed to have had a love/hate relationship with morrissey as a solo artist. some of the albums i found simply amazing while others were quite lacking in that certain something. granted not all artist can have stellar album after album but i always expected greatness from him. most likely because of the impact the smiths had on me as a youth. morrissey's performance last night was truly amazing in many ways. its been quite awhile since i had chills at a show and didn't want it to end. i almost felt like i was having my own private concert. and the fact that he threw in how soon is now and ended the set with please, please, please let me completely made my night. i'll most likely be on a smiths/morrissey kick for the next couple of weeks. sometimes its ok to revisit the past because by doing so we come back a whole new outlook. and for that i have morrissey to thank.



stay gold & be well…

2 comments:

Pevil said...

Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. I love The Smiths, always will. Glad he brought it back in such high fashion. YAY for you, YAY for Morrissey.

Scott said...

Wowza.

I wouldn't have thought he would play "How Soon Is Now" because it's the quintessential Smiths song.

It also happens to be one of the best tunes ever made.

That must have been frickin' great to see it live.