Tuesday, March 08, 2005

what would brie vandercamp do?

dear diary–
last month horace invited the gang from school over to his house for dinner. it seems that they are quite interested in seeing our apartments and how we live. he made them a pasta dinner. it was on a friday so i missed out on the dinner since i had taekwondo and went afterwards for some beers. now its my turn. i told them i'd invite them over this month. my problem is that i have no idea what to make. obviously pasta is out. seeing that my kitchen consists of two burners, a frying pan, and a small pot my options are limited. if only i had a oven. my first thought was to make hamburgers but i really don't feel like frying them in a pan. then i thought about a mexican fest but that means trying to find refried beans and shells. which lead me to think about tiny sandwiches with the crust cut off. i feel like i'm at a loss. trying to plan an american meal in korea is tough. this leads me the the question what would brie vandercamp do? she'd have no problem coming up with a great dinner party theme with limited resources. since i can't really ask brie i thought i'd pose this same question to those of you reading my diary. if any of you have any great and simple ideas i'd love to hear them. the date i have in mind is march 24. that gives me two weeks to figure it out. speaking of cooking. there's this sweet potato noodle dish that they serve here which is very tastey. i was asking some of the teachers how to make it. they all looked at me like i was crazy saying "its too hard". being the stubborn person that i am i told them that it can't be too hard and now i found myself with the burdon of actually having to make this dish. and worse of all is that they all want to try it. its even gone as far as jane's friend, who's a home economics teacher, actually buying me the noodles since i kept telling them i couldn't find them. how to i get myself into these messes. after two months of them asking me when i'm going to make it, i think i'm going to give it a try this weekend. wish me luck. all right…time for some tea and tv. be well and please send your advice on the dinner party ideas. i'm counting on you all.

5 comments:

Pevil said...

How about homemade macaroni and cheese? It's wholesome, yummy, and easy. Do you have an oven?

Misty L said...

maybe you can make some fried chicken and mashed potatoes - no oven needed there.

Good luck, Martha. I hope everything turns out perfect!

Kate said...

Ethan!
I'm about to pass along my secret recipe that has saved my tushie on many a night...
http://www.epicurious.com/.

use it well...

Anonymous said...

you should throw a 4th of July party in march!!! the theme can be summertime fun. everyone will be notified to wear red, white, or blue. party favors will be limited, so you can have the kids make some fun stuff from construction paper. you can serve hamburgers, hot dogs, potato chips, porkin beans, pasta salad, and fruity jello's...quick, easy, all american. fireworks may be tricky, but i'll leave that up to you. brie would approve.

d-uh

hez said...

i think we should all send you kraft macaroni and cheese and little hotdogs in a can and little apple pies for your dinner party.