Tuesday, November 10, 2009

new jersey

deery-lou.
previously on the e-list…


"i am lost, it's ok". the words from this image stayed with me long after i had left the "fight hiv your way" exhibit. even while i was walking around the exhibition, i kept finding myself returning to these five words. it been quite some time since i've been to an art show that had such a strong impact on me. the images & accompanying quotes spoke of hope in lieu of the tragedy & heartache that is often thought of. the images were powerful & several of the quotes gave me chills. i had taken my class there for two reasons. the first, as a writing assignment, and the second more important reason, i wanted them to take a look at this disease in another light. after reading their essays, i realized that i successfully accomplished my second goal. sometimes it feels good to be a teacher. just where will i end up next is any one's guess.

stay gold & be well…

4 comments:

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

[How I posted the wrong comment with this post is beyond me.] I'll try again:

You are an amazing teacher and this is proof. What I would've done for a teacher like you in high school! How long is this exhibit up?

j. ethan duran said...

thanks for such a nice comment. the exhibit ended two weeks ago.

Prattlepants said...

i love that you took your students to this. im thinking of the impact it will have on them for years to come... probably longer than they will remember their english :) youre rad!