Wednesday, September 27, 2006

measure


deery-lou.
it's a record. i actually completed a book in less than a week. for those that know me, i'm not a big reader unless its comics or mangas. give me a book thats over 300 pages plus being a biography of sorts and it takes me forever. it's not that i don't like reading i just get sidetracked with tv and napping. i actually love browsing through bookstores. when princess was over at my apartment she kept pointing to books asking me how it was. my response was always, "i don't know. i haven't read it yet". this prompted me to start diving right in. the first on my shelf i grabbed was girl sleuth: nancy drew and the women that created her. i believe this book was given to me my mistyl for either christmas or my birthday. whichever it was its been sitting on the shelf collecting dust for months. i was a bit aprehensive about this book since it was a biography. my initial thoughts was that it was going to be a long boring read. thankfully i was proven wrong. the writing style was sharp, fresh, and quickly paced. it was quite interesting to read about a character that was created in an era where women were still coming into their own. i found it to be both a fascinating study of a character's creation as well as glimpse into historical events. i was even more excited to reach page 285. that's when the book started talking about pamela sue martin who played nancy on the hardy boys/nancy drew mystery show.

the hardy boys & nancy drew

it interesting to see how nancy changed and how the books were revised for the changing times. i never really realized just how popular she was. its great to see a character who has been around for so long. as of last year nancy has found herself in a new form. that of a graphic novel. i've only read the first one and i must say i was quite impressed. it was alot better than the hardy boys graphic novel. if you're a total nancy fan be sure to check out the following site: the nancy drew sleuth. so here's to nancy and her friends for over 75 years of publishing. my she continue to live on.

be well…

3 comments:

Pevil said...

Nancy was my first girlfriend...

hez said...

gack! why did my pre-pubescent mind EVER find shaun cassidy attractive?!? the man has a weak chin fercrissakes.

Bonnie Conquest said...

What you gonna read NEXT?