Monday, January 02, 2006

bfb [back from bali]

rice terraces

deery-lou.
i'm baaaaack!!! it's hard to believe my week in bali is already over. it was a great trip. the weather was quite humid much like florida so it was 8 days of bad hair for yours truly. it also rained alot. although i'll take a warm rain over freezing cold. did alot more sight-seeing on this trip and less lounging by the ocean. mostly cuz the beach and ocean just didn't appeal to me for some reason. perhaps it was due to the lack of tourists and because every 5 seconds you were being ask to buy something. its sad to see that since the bombing the tourism has dropped. shopkeepers were desperate for sales. i think i was asked if i wanted a sarong at least 10 times every day. bali is a wonderful place. the people are really friendly and the food is delicious. i definitely recommend visiting just to see the temples, rice terraces, and other sights. driving through the country side everything was so lush. a couple of times i wanted to jump out and run barefooted through all the green. there are all these little villages along the way. much like little communities. driving around was simply fantastic for that reason alone. i couldn't help but wonder what life would be like there. you can catch a small glimpse like people bathing and washing in the river, working in the rice terraces, etc. i'm really curious about what it would be like to be a child or teenager there. if i ever go back i'd love to spend some time in a village and get a real feel for life. its seems like almost every house has some kind of shop in it. you see people with general stores, selling fruits, carving wood, painting, etc. there are a lot of galleries but unfortunately most of the art looks like its mass manufactured. i'm still amazed at seeing all these people walk down the streets with giant pots, sticks, etc on their heads. i can't even balance a book. one thing i know for sure is that motorbikes are the major means of transporation. they're everywhere. during the rain they wear ponchos as the ride around. motorbikes scare me. i think its because i wrecked one when i was younger. i need to get over my fear cuz like look like they'd be fun to ride. one of these days. anyway…there's a lot more to tell and lots of photos to post. i'll write a highlights post in a few days. in the meantime i got one set of photos uploaded so i'll leave you with them for now.

be well…

click here for bali photo album 1

5 comments:

Pevil said...

WOW! You saw some amazing places and people! What a wonderful trip. Good on ya E!

Kate said...

so great to talk w/ you right when you got back! and what a pretty place.

Misty L said...

E, those pictures are AMAZING. Makes me want to go to Bali. Yeah, it was awesome talking to you...uh, not that I really remember much of what I said - hahaha. Love you! Happy New Year!!

Unknown said...

I am so NOT jealous. No. Really. I got to hang out with one of the dudes from Skid Row for New Years. So your little site seeing thing has nothing on that.

Who am I kidding. How'd you get the life that I thought I was supposed to have? Someone slipped me the "old woman in the shoe's life" instead. Every picture that came up in the slide show, I couldn't help myself as I shouted "He better ask me to go with him next time!" ...which was kinda bad, since it's like 4am right now and the everyone else is trying to sleep.

Unknown said...

P.S. note that when the blogger comment window is open, my icon is the face of a wooden wayang puppet of mine... he's Javanese, but still... *sigh*