Thursday, May 12, 2005

inline skating…what?

deery-lou.
last night i showed up at taekwondo early once again to see if the sabom-nim was ready to study. he wasn't. he was in the office with the kwan-jang-nim and the other instructor. the only one in their dobok [tkd uniform] was teh kwan-jang-nim. what's this about i thought. i greeted them all with a kyong-ye [bow] like i always do and the kwan-jang-nim told me that today was inline skate day. my imediate reaction was "uh, what?" i quickly replied with anyo [no] and the crossing of my arms to make a giant X. they all laughed. he told me instead i'd practice my poomse. i went into the dojang [gym] to do some warm-up exercises. one by one the kids starting coming in. the little girl who loves me gave me some paper about a movie. not really sure what it said but i thanked her. once everyone was inside one the students lead us in exercising. let me just say that the exercising so by so fast. its like speedy-cising. afterwards we headed outside. yes i had to go outside in my uniform with a bunch of children. i didn't have any sneakers with me so the kwan-jang-nim gave me a pair to wear. we walked over to the inline skate track. the sobam-nim line the students up and they were doing some kind of warm-up exercising on their skates. all i think was that if i was on skates doing this i'd probably have fallen at least 5 times by now. the kwan-jang-nim told me he wanted to observe the class for a bit then we were going to go inside to practice my poomse. on the way back to class the kwan-jang-nim told me that in the summer they practice outside. oh, great. more outside activities in my uniform to look forward to. he also mentioned something about walking around and doing some fast walking during the summer. at least i think thats what he said. i'm really not sure. i guess i'll just have to wait until summer to find out. practicing my poomses was quite embarassing. we started off with #1 and i couldn't even remember it. it was like that for all of them. after each one he said "remember". i told him i'm trying but its been awhile since i've done 1-4. i'm having the hardest time remembering them. i feel like i've taken a stupid pill or something. plus the whole time i'm doing them i'm trying to remember to use two hands. something i wasn't taught in my other class. go figure. after the poomse disaster we moved onto kicking. there's one kick they keep doing which i'm not really sure what it is. i keep leaning back and turning my body too much. everytime he's like "bad". i think out of 10 or so kicks i got 3 or 4 right. however, i'm determined to do this. and hopefully i'll get better. last night i went to my rooftop to have a beer. while i was looking out over ansan i notice that the building next to me had a swimming pool. actually it had a little patio set up. i think it might be a sauna. i noticed someone walking around and he had on the typical sauna outfit: khaki shorts and a t-shirt. i got all excited. how fun would it be to sit my a pool and enjoy the sunlight. i love korea. as i was staring off at the patio oasis i realized that i really like my tkd class. switching schools was probably the best thing i ever did. the instructors are super friendly and cool. i know i'm going to learn alot from them. especially if i put the effort into. it was really nice standing out on the roof. the sky was purplish-brown and the sliver moon had an orangish glow around it. drinking my cass i thought, "i'm in korea. life really can't get any better."

be well…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww...

d-rip

Kate said...

that's just beautiful, ethan. it's posts like this that confirm to me that you are *right* where you need to be. :)

Pevil said...

Hooray for your rooftop and perspective! Proud of you E!