Sunday, October 24, 2010

Teeth LIke God's Shoeshine

deery-lou.
previously on the e-list…

Gloomy rainy days are best spent indoors. That's just what I did this weekend; however, not in my apartment. At least not on Saturday. Instead, I headed to the Legion of Honor to check out the Japanesque: The Japanese Print in the Era of Impressionism. What an amazing exhibit. The folks at the Legion of Honor did a great job in showcasing the art. I fell in love with the blue room. So much so that I would love to paint a wall in my apartment that color of blue. The artwork popped against the blue wall bringing out the richness of the prints. It's amazing to think of the details that went into making these woodblock prints. I was completely surprised at how well the color has lasted over all this time. I found myself mostly drawn to the work of Hiroshige. The blues in his woodblock prints were so deep and rich. I could have stared at them for hours. Another artist I was drawn to was Utagawa Kuniyoshi, especially his piece from One Hundred Poems by One Hundred Poets (see below). I was quite moved by the poem on this piece which was written by Minamoto no Shigeyuki.


















Here's a translation of the poem:

Like a driven wave
Dashed by fierce winds on rock
So am I: alone
And crushed upon the shore
Remembering what has been

This current exhibit lasts until January 9, 2011. If you're in San Francisco around then be sure to check it out. It's definitely an exhibit you don't want to miss. Just where will I end up next is any one's guess.

stay gold & be well…

No comments: